The Denver Bar Association recognizes that most people cannot afford to hire a private attorney. In a recent report, the Colorado Access to Justice Commission found more than half of all litigants in civil cases had no representation.

To assist the public, the Denver Bar Association’s Access to Justice Committee has assembled a list of pro bono legal resources available to our community. These service providers offer full‑ and limited‑scope representation. If you would like to consult with an attorney but do not need or cannot obtain traditional representation, check out our legal clinics page.

This list has been designed specifically for residents of the City and County of Denver, although many of these organizations provide services for residents of other parts of Colorado.

Colorado Legal Services

Colorado Legal Services provides access to high‑quality civil legal services in the pursuit of justice for as many low‑income people throughout Colorado as possible.

Who’s Eligible? Individual and households who make less than 125% of the Federal Poverty Guideline and seniors age 60 and over regardless of income for certain cases.

What types of cases can Colorado Legal Services assist with?

  • Family law: domestic violence, divorce, custody, guardianship;
  • Consumer debt problems, including bankruptcy, garnishment, collection, and repossession;
  • Housing law, including foreclosures in some CLS offices, evictions, landlord/tenant issues;
  • Issues for seniors, including living wills, medical durable powers of attorney, and more;
  • Problems with government programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, SSI, and other government benefits;
  • Tax controversies with the IRS, including Tax Court litigation, IRS exams and audits, IRS appeals, identity theft/tax preparer fraud, liens and levies, collection alternatives, earned income tax credit denials, innocent spouse relief, underreported/disputed income, and cancellation of debt income;
  • Other civil (not criminal or traffic) problems; and
  • Immigration: we can help citizens and those who are (1) present in the U.S. and (2) have an acceptable “category” of immigration. These categories are complicated and assessed on a case-by-case basis, but include Lawful Permanent Residents and Asylees.

How do I apply? You can apply online here, by telephone at (303) 837-1313.

Metro Volunteer Lawyers

MVL bridges the gap in access to justice by coordinating the provision of pro bono legal services by volunteer lawyers within the Denver Metro Area to those in need who are living at or below 200% of federal poverty guidelines and cannot otherwise afford legal services for their civil legal issues.

What types of cases can MVL assist with?

  • Family Law
  • Elder Law
  • Probate
  • Consumer and Financial  
  • Bankruptcy
  • Public Benefits 
  • Housing 

How do I apply? You must apply through Colorado Legal Services, either online here, by telephone at (303) 837-1313.

Colorado Poverty Law Project

The Colorado Poverty Law Project's prevents homelessness through legal representation, education, and advocacy.

Who’s eligible? Individuals who are experiencing poverty or financial instability.

What types of cases can Colorado Poverty Law Project assist with? Primarily housing issues with a focus on eviction defense, warranty of habitability, and issues faced by mobile home residents.

How do I apply? Complete an intake form online here, or contact by e-mail at [email protected].

Justice and Mercy Legal Aid Center

Justice and Mercy Legal Aid Center (JAMLAC) provides free legal services to those who struggle with poverty, oppression, and daily hardships. They primarily focus on serving low-income victims of crime and domestic violence.

Who’s eligible? Individuals and households who make less than 125% of the Federal Poverty Guideline.

What types of cases can Justice and Mercy Legal Aid Center assist with?

  • Child custody
  • Bankruptcy
  • Protection orders
  • Immigration matters
  • Sealing criminal records
  • Minor traffic matters
  • Consumer Debt (Garnishment, Collection)
  • Identification issues
  • Employment (Unsafe work conditions, wage theft)
  • Elder law/Elder Advocacy
  • End of-life planning(Wills, Durable Power of Attorneys)
  • Guardianship


How do I apply?  Visit If you need additional information about the application process and eligibility for services.

Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center

Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center is a Colorado nonprofit law firm providing free legal services to victims of crime in Colorado through our Victim Rights Legal Services, Legal Information Network of Colorado, and Title IX programs.

Who’s eligible? Victims of crime.

What types of services does Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center offer?

  • Information on the legal system and rights of victims
  • Resources and referrals
  • Limited assistance getting information about case status, rights, etc.
  • Legal representation related to the enforcement of rights under the Colorado Victim Rights Act
  • Legal representation related to the protection of privacy rights

How do I apply? By e-mail at [email protected] or call (303) 295-2001. 

Toward Justice

Towards Justice is a nonprofit law firm that seeks to advance economic justice through impact litigation, strategic policy advocacy, and capacity building. We were founded in response to the high volume of wage theft complaints that were not being addressed in Colorado, but quickly broadened our scope to take on cases that dismantle the power imbalances that undermine the value of work and diminish worker rights.

Who’s eligible? Low-wage workers.

What types of cases does Towards Justice handle?

  • Wage theft
  • Unsafe working conditions

How do I apply? Complete an intake form online, e-mail at [email protected], or call (720) 441-2236. 

Disability Law Colorado

Disability Law Colorado provides free or low-cost legal services to people with disabilities whose civil rights have been violated.

Who’s eligible? Disability Law Colorado considers the specifics of your case, other resources available to you, your ability to advocate for yourself, whether your problem falls within one of our priority areas as determined through public surveys and board approval, availability of resources within our organization, whether your case requires taking a position against another person with disabilities, and the extent to which your case may benefit others with disabilities.

What types of cases can Disability Law Colorado assist with?

  • housing discrimination
  • service animals
  • employment discrimination
  • abuse/neglect
  • seclusion/restraint
  • special education

How do I apply? You can apply online here or call (303) 722-0300.

Rocky Mountain Children’s Law Center

The Children’s Law Center specializes in addressing the wraparound needs of nonparent caregivers and the children in their homes.

Who’s eligible? Children’s Law Center considers the merit of legal issue, risk for children and youth involved in your case, its capacity and resources, Consistent with our mission & priorities, and other resources available to you.

What types of cases can Children’s Law Center assist with?

  • Allocation of Parental Responsibilities
  • Guardianship
  • Adoption
  • Dependency and Neglect

How do I apply? Contact the Children’s Law Center online here or by telephone at (303) 692-1165.